SLIDER

26.7.10

Natural Testimonies: Anna Muse

Where do you come from? What do you do?
I'm originally from Cap Haitien, Haiti, but I was raised in South Florida. I'm a children's/teen fiction writer, model, part-time actress, part-time receptionist, and wife to the best guy ever :-D

What made you want to become natural? What inspired you?
I have always hated relaxers! Everything from the smell, to the burns, and having to do it all the time. But my mom relaxed my hair when I was 6, so I didn't have much choice in the matter. I did the big chop when I was 22 and knowledge is what inspired me. I did a lot of digging online and discovered that kinky hair IS manageable and there was just no excuse to continue chemicaly abusing my hair.



What is the best thing about being natural?
Everything! I love my texture, the health of my hair, the comfort of my scalp, low-maintence hairdo's, and being able to educate others.

Have you experienced any ignorance towards your natural hair? How do you deal with it?
Yes, from family mostly. My cousins call my hair nappy and use it as a reason why they can't go natural. My mom is constantly telling me to flat iron my hair and my mother-in-law (who is nearly bald from relaxers herself) claimed that if I didn't relax me hair, it'd fall out! This mindset and general ignorance toward black hair just makes me so sad. I just take it in stride. My hair is healthier and looks a thousand times better than the haters and I know some of it stems from jealousy so I just do me.

What is your attitude to bad hair days?
I act like I planned it! I either take my pick and rock a huge fro or slick it back into a puff pony or bun.

What does your regime include?
I wash my hair in four sections twice a week ( I exercise daily) with Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (peppermint is my fav), condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, and style my hair in braids or twists to dry with Suave Tropical Coconut and castor oil as my leave-in. Sometimes I use Afrikan Republic golden shea butter to seal. After 2-3 days, I unbraid or twist and wear it that way or pick it into superfro, lol!

Do you feel that natural hair "is just hair"?
Natural hair just is. It grows out of our scalps this way and we need to respect that. Respecting your body (hair and scalp included) and respecting yourself are one and the same to me. All hair is just hair until the person makes it a priority to alter it.

What have you learned from your natural hair journey?
I have learned that shea butter and castor oil are my best friends. I have learned that my hair needs gentle handling. I have learned to appreciate my thick long hair and thank God everyday that I saw the light before chemicals destroyed it completely. I have learned that gel is not the solution for everything. I have learned that straight hair isn't being true to the person that God made me.

Tell us a bit about your blog; Nubian Tresses?
Nubian Tresses is a blog devoted to the proper care of 3c-4c hair, the most tightly coiled. This hair type is often misunderstood and greatly underappreciated and my blog shows just how beautiful, managable, and versatile it can be. I also have product reviews, instructional videos from natural YouTubers, inspirational photos, and my own personal opinions and politics concerning black hair and the black community.

What advice would you give to new naturals or someone considering going natural?
Try. Just try. In the age of information, your computer can be your greatest resource. These is lots of information on natural black hair care to be had and don't you owe it to yourself to give the real you a chance?

Where else can we find you on the Internet?
I'm a member of a great natural social network called Natural Sunshine, at www.naturalsunshine.ning.com. We give and get advice, ask questions, and just banter. Its a great place for anyone who is natural or transitioning! I am also the West Palm Beach Natural beauty examiner.

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design