SLIDER

6.12.10

Natural Testimonies: Lisa from Berkshire


Where do you come from? What do you do? 
I was born in Ghana, raised in Austria and now living in Berkshire, UK

What made you want to become natural? What inspired you?
I took on a swimming lesson course last year and didn’t really know how to care for chlorine and relaxed hair and by the time I became aware about chlorine in hair, my relaxed hair was already damaged. I thought about cutting off my hair really short and still have it relaxed or cut off and go natural. Natural hair has always had an effect on me but had no clue about its care and maintenance as I know it can be challenging at times. I made the decision to go natural when I took out my cornrows back in May and had a lot of re-growth. I didn’t have enough money at that time to visit the salon for a relaxer touch up, so I decided to go on YouTube and learn how to press natural hair so it can blend in with my relaxed hair until I can afford to go the salon. But instead of watching hair pressing videos, I discovered the Natural Hair Community.


When did you become natural?
I did the Big Chop on the 4th of August, 2010 with the help of my sister, who by the way is currently transitioning to natural hair. My last relaxer was in January this year. I transitioned for about 7-8months, first 4 months was giving my hair a break from daily styling and was wearing braids and cornrows. I was already in transitioning period the first 4 months just wasn’t aware.


Describe your big chop experience.
My Big Chop was very very exciting to me and I couldn’t wait any longer. I wanted to transition for as long as I could but watching videos and reading about other natural hair bloggers experiences, looking at pictures of all the hairstyles, learning about the care and maintenance of natural hair all the time just made it even worse lol. I was really looking forward to cutting my hair off and funny enough, I was more happy to see my relaxed hair on the floor than on my head as in all my relaxed years, my hair had never been soo damaged and in that state before.

I would definitely say that I was more excited than nervous or anything. I didn’t worry about how I was going to look because I went to town to get some accessories, knew what styles to wear and got all my products ready. I was very much prepared which I think it’s the most important thing.


What is the best thing about being natural?
Right now, I’m still in the discovering stage as my hair is growing everyday, I learn new things along the way too. But from what I have seen from other natural sistas, it’s the versatility about the way you can wear your hair especially when you have more hair. Because I’m still in the TWA phase, I wear the same styles too often and I cant really do so much with as I would if it was a little longer, but I’m definitely looking forward to more growth over the next coming months. For me personally, I just love how I can wash and let it air dry supposed to having to blow dry and straighten when I was relaxed. Its much simpler now

What does your regime include?
At the moment I don’t have a specific regime, I wash my hair on Mondays as it’s the day I go for swimming. I wash and deep condition once a week and I alternate products bi-weekly. I wash with either Head and Shoulders shampoo(sulphate) or Ion Swimmers Shampoo (Sulfate free), deep condition with either (Protein) ORS Hair Mayo with EVOO, Avocado and any Essential Oil, then follow up with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner or I use Elasta QP DPR-11 Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer conditioner with Oils and then follow up with Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor. I use a leave in conditioner (Infusium 23 or Ion Swimmers Leave in Conditioner) along with cantu shea butter, then seal with my whipped Shea butter or just olive/castor oil. I also do ACV rinse and clarify my hair whenever, I find it very hard to find a suitable regime and stick with it. I can never tell whether a product works for me or not so I just go with flow and do whatever it’s necessary for my hair. My hair seems to be doing fine and its growing.

What mistake have you made with your natural hair?
None as of yet and I don’t intend to. I’m enjoying my hair journey and looking forward to more discoveries.

Do you ever feel that you want to back to relaxers/texturizers/weaves?
At the moment no, im trying as much as I can not to go to that the direction, I’m not a big fan of weaves so that’s totally out of the question. I don’t agree with putting someone else’s hair on my head to make me feel beautiful or any other reason when I know I can grow my own. I am the person that I can manage my own hair no matter what length it is in. you just need to know or learn how to.

Tell us a bit about your blog; P1nkyy's Classy Kinks?
I set up a blog to help document my natural hair journey, track progress and so on. I chose the name “p1nkyys Classy Kinks” because well, pinkyy is my nickname as I’m a fanatic of pink, I see the colour and I’m in love, the Classy Kinks basically comes from how I like to wear my hair. I LOVE big hair and updos and since some people think natural hair is just “nappy” –(I say this word with much love), I just want to show people that natural hair can be classy!!! I hope my blog will help other natural hair sistas embrace their own natural hair regardless of its texture and show that you can be classy with your natural hair.

What advice would you give to new naturals or someone considering going natural?
You have to be totally prepared, I mean like physically and mentally. Because once you cut your hair, you're either gonna love it or hate it or sometime it just takes getting used to. You need to know about the dos and donts and thanks for the great community out there, there are a lot of info, help and support available if you need them. So what I would say is, totally go for it, you will learn to love it as much as I and other natural hair sistas do.


Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Twitter: www.twitter.com/p1nkyy
Blog: www.p1nkyysclassykinks.blogspot.com

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design