SLIDER

13.1.11

Hair Styles: No-Heat Stretched Afro (Banding)


I actually only did this style because I wanted to see what length my hair is at currently and to give it a little trim on some of the dry, damaged ends.

I started with dry hair which had been co-washed the previous day. I then sprayed it with a water/leave-in (Aussie Insurance) mixture to make my hair damp and to prepare it for manipulation. When my hair was damp I could then detangle – I section hair and use a wide tooth comb working from the ends up to the roots.



Once my hair was detangled I began the banding process. For me it was not necessary to get my hair to straight so I didn’t use too many hair bands. I also had to use rubber bands, which is not ideal because I didn’t have enough ouchless bands.

I sectioned my hair into eight and with each section I use my Pro Tips (bristle) brush to smooth my hair and then attached bands progressively up from the roots to the tip.When banding you want to get that the first hairband, the one nearest your roots, on pretty tight (no to tight otherwise you’ll damage you scalp and hair). Another tip is the straighter you want your hair, the more bands you use. Your hair will probably be at it’s straightest if you manage to get the hair to stand upright without it being very flexible. I left the bands in until my hair dried but for best result you may want to leave them in overnight.

I added a little parting to my stretched ‘fro, a chain headband, some accessories and a little make-up. I think it ended turning out better than I expected. What do you think?


See the videos below for examples of how to do banding:






Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design