SLIDER

24.3.11

Natural Testimonies: Jenell from KinkyCurlyCoilyMe.com

DSC02273
Where do you come from? What do you do?
I am of Liberian (African) descent. But I was born in NY. I currently live in the fabulous city of Brooklyn, NY. I am a wife and a special educator.

What made you want to become natural? What inspired you?
My cousin sparked the idea. I thought she was crazy! But she put me onto YouTube and I was hooked on watching natural hair videos. It was so fascinating that women could grow their hair long without having to straighten it with a relaxer. A week later I decided to Big Chop and grow my hair long beautiful and natural!

When did you become natural? Describe your big chop experience.
I BCd on March 26, 2010. It was an exciting experience. My cousin went out and bought shears along with a black power pic for us. I picked up some Chinese food, we cracked open a bottle of Nuvo and started cutting each others hair. It was awesome!


What was your initial reaction after your BC? How have your feelings change since then?
I was shocked at what I had just done for a few minutes. I kept looking in the mirror at myself and thinking "wow! I really did it!" I wet my hair and waited to see my curls pop. I spent the next few months trying and trying to get my curls to define and nothing worked. I've learned a great deal about my hair type and texture since then and I've also learned to accept my hair for what it is. If it won't curl - Make it! I do twist outs and braid outs when I want curly hair.

JenellCol


Do you ever feel that you want to back to relaxers/texturisers/weaves?
Nope.

What is your attitude to bad hair days?
When I had a TWA I bad bad hair days often. But now that I have length, there's so many creative styles I can do, to turn a bad hair day into a good one.

DSC02205What does your regime include?
Saturdays - Shampoo, condition, detangle, deep condition and pamper.
Wednesdays - Cowash, detangle, and pamper.
Pamper - Section hair into 4 sections. Take a smaller section (of 1 section) spray section with Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening mist, then add Tropical Traditions coconut milk to scalp and hair, apply Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner to hair as a leave in conditioner, then apply raw shea butter or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Then twist or braid pampered section.

Name 3 products you couldn't live without.
Shea moisture Reasrorative conditioner, Coconut oil, and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

How has being natural affected your self image?
Beauty is as beauty does.

What is the best thing about being natural?
The best thing about being natural is the unity that my natural hair creates amongst thousands of women.

KS

Tell us a bit about your blog.
My blog www.KinkyCurlyCoilyMe.com was created to showcase my natural hair journey and share everything I learn with women along the way. I noticed that my love of natural hair was infectious and decided to showcase the journeys of other women. I have found love and support from everyone around me and I am becoming the "go to" person for all my friends and family when it comes to hair care.

If you are unsure about a product, you can check out the Product Reviews section. If you are looking for a new hair style, you can check out the Hair Tutorials section. If you have questions about hair growth, hair damage, or oils, there's a section for that too.

IMG_1761The material on my website is largely donated by the Natural Hair community. Women send in personal experiences of their journey, they share the favorite styles, and they share recipes that they've fallen in love with.

My blog is growing daily with sponsor ships from NaturallyCurly.com, SheaMoisture, and TheCoilReview.com. I am very happy to be a resource to everyone and I love the support from the Natural Hair community.

Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Join the Fanpage: KinkyCurlyCoilyMe on FaceBook
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BlakIzBeautyful
Watch Me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlakIzBeautyful
Join the Forum: http://kinkycurlycoilyme.findtalk.net/

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design