SLIDER

2.5.11

Natural Testimonies: MiiSS kECiia of MiiSSkECiia.com

new1Where do you come from? What do you do?
Howdy! My name is Chakecia [sha-key-sha] but I go by MiiSS kECiia online. I’m a Natural Hair stylist and blogger

What made you want to become natural? What inspired you?
I started doing research about healthy hair care and I stumbled upon a post your fro thread in a forum and my love of natural hair began! Seeing all those women of color flaunt their afros was all the inspiration I needed.

When did you become natural? And how?
My aunt said “don’t perm it anymore” and I said “okay” & that was it! That was after I learned relaxer and bleach were a bad idea. That was in 2006 or 2007… I relaxed my edges for a while after but by 2008 I was 100% natural. I don’t remember transitioning, I most likely had braids. I tried a few sew-in weaves also but they aren’t for me. I had my hair pressed every 2 weeks like clockwork by the same aunt until July 2009.


What was your family, friends, partners reaction?
My family has been back and forth… some days they like it some days they tell me I need a hotcomb… My greatest support has come from my boyfriend who was my friend at the time. He loves my afro and I love him for it! And also the online natural hair community… so many ladies inspire me every day to try new things and really love my hair

How did you transition? What style/regime did you do?
I think most of my transition was with braids… I’d get them done and leve them in for 3 months [max] take them down let it breath for a week or 2 and get them done over.
Chakecia
Do you ever feel that you want to back to weaves?
I think about a weave every now and then just because they’re cute and my hair would be protected but I have tried weaves several times and failed miserably lol they don’t like me at all

What is your attitude to bad hair days?
First upset then I remember I’m probably the only one that knows I’m having a bad hair day anyhow so I go on about my day… 9 times out of 10 I can make it work.

What are your favorite hair styles?
Twist Outs! I love them they’re pretty much all I wear

BO1Name 3 products you couldn't live without.
  • Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Miracle Worker
  • It’s a 10 Miracle Mask
  • DevaCurl One Condition
What mistake have you made with your natural hair?
Being too rough, not being consistent, and not listening to my hair. THE WORST! You have to listen to your hair because it knows what it likes and doesn’t like. Now whatever LOLA wants LOLA gets! lol

What advice would you give to new naturals or someone considering going natural?
Research like there is no tomorrow! And make sure you check several sources. There is a slew of information out there and it’s up to you to sift through it and apply what’s relevant to you. It’s YOUR journey so don’t allow anyone to put you into a box

What have you learned from your natural hair journey?
That kinky curly hair is beautiful and desirable and just as manageable as any other hair type! This journey has taught me patience and discipline and I will always love my hair!
miiskeciia
Tell us a bit about your blog – miisskeciia.com.
@MiiSSkECiia the blog is an extension of my twitter account. I started to blog to keep track of what my hair was doing on good and bad days so I could figure out what works best. After getting a twitter and seeing how active the natural hair community was and wanting to answer and ask questions that extended way beyond 140 characters I decided to open my blog up and invite other along with me for my journey and see the journeys of others.

Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Blog: MiiSSkECiia.com
Facebook: facebook.com/MiiSSkECiiaBlog
Twitter: @MiiSSkECiia

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design