SLIDER

24.10.11

BOOK REVIEW: “Curly Like Me” by Teri LaFlesh

CurlyLikeMeCoverLrgr-e1277138365634“Curly Like Me” by Teri LaFlesh is a curly girls manual to growing ‘hair healthy, long and strong’. I bought this book last summer in the hopes that it would reveal the secrets for growing my hair to Rapunzel lengths. And although I haven’t quite achieved the world biggest afro (as of yet, lol), LaFlesh’s “Curly Like Me” definitely has provided me with some helpful information on retaining hair length and maintaining healthy hair. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone in search tips, techniques and general knowledge when it comes to hair care and styling.

This book cover everything a kinky curly girl needs to know about hare care; from hair science to baby curls to washing and conditioning. “Curly Like Me” even has a great section on hairstyling with lots of easy and cute styles to try out. Additionally, the book give you advice on what types of ingredients, product and tools you should try and even what product lines may work for your hair.

What I love about “Curly Like Me” is that it’s easy to read. The book is written in a way that gives you in-depth knowledge but doesn’t drown you in unnecessary information or leave you thinking ‘what have I just read?’. It’s clear and gets right to the point with loads of diagrams and photos to illustrate directions and information.

Another thing I like is that you can pick up reading from anywhere. It’s not a book you necessarily have to read all at once but say if you have an issue with detangling you can jump straight to Chapter 5 and pow – all the information you need!

My favourite bit about “Curly Like Me” however, is the first chapter ‘My Hair History: How I Learned What Not to Do’. This chapter made me laugh, as well as remember all my hair related dramas and frustrations I’ve had in the past. I love this chapter because it’s so easy to relate to her story of how she came to accept what grows naturally from her head and all the mistake she’s made along the way when it comes to her natural hair.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading “Curly Like Me” and believe it’s worth every penny that I spent on it. Definitely a 5 ‘fro read!!!

Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? Did it help you in you natural hair journey? Are considering buying this book? Drop me a comment!

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design