SLIDER

31.10.12

Featured Kinks and Curls: Allison

Where do you come from? What do you do?
My Name is Allison but my blogging name is Allie the Nawlins Natural. I also have a YouTube Channel called Nawlins Natural and my blog iswww.allierucks.wordpress.com. I am from New Orleans and I have been Natural for close to 2 years now. I did my big chop Dec 2, 2010; I am a Registered Nurse, Mother and a Graduate Student studying Occupational Therapy.


What made you want to become natural? What inspired you?
I was the last in my group of core girlfriends to go natural and I transitioned for 6 months only I did not know that’s what it was called. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with my hair, go back to a relaxer or would I become natural. I was watching the Chris Rock Documentary Good Hair and I saw the scientist dip a Coke-Cola can into a lye relaxer how the relaxer ate away the can. The next day I ran to the barbershop!!




What was your initial reaction after your BC? How have your feelings change since then?
The barber faced me away from the mirror and when he finished he told me how beautiful I was and turned me around and I looked in the mirror and I loved it!!! I knew that I would never go back to a relaxer EVER!!


What is your attitude to bad hair days?
If I have a bad hair day, no one knows because I hold my head high and walk proud and people think my hair is beautiful


What does your regime include?
I co-wash & deep condition weekly, I use tea rinses to spritz my hair if it is dry, nightly scalp massages. I don’t use shampoo as I find it is drying to my hair but I do use Rhassoul Clay or if I am time crunched I use Terressentials Mud Wash to cleanse my hair.

Name 3 products you couldn't live without.
Castor oil, Whipfinity Shea Butter, my healing herbs & powders



Tell us a bit about your blog.
My blog is about helping naturals to understand their hair journey and to know they are not in this alone and also being an older natural I’m 48 and many of us older naturals have not seen our natural hair since we were pre-teens. I love to share information and to spotlight other naturals who are on their journey but also let you know that by using natural products you can have a healthy, beautiful hair. It is also a lifestyle not just hair, we talk about exercise, eating right and being positive. I have found that I am the go to person for my friends, family. My church family relies on me quite a bit as well. I make a lot products for myself and others and I share my recipes on the site.


Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Join the Facebook fan page: Natural Hair Community
My blog: www.allierucks.wordpress.com
My YouTube channel: Nawlins curly

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design